On 21-23 February 2007 the visit to Japan of Prime Minister of Romania . This was the first visit of a Romanian premier in Japan in the history of bilateral relations and the former prime minister’s external action after EU accession .
On the occasion of the 50th anniversary since Romania and Japan resumed diplomatic relations, in March 2010, the President of Romania made an official working visit to Japan. Prince and Princess Akishino had made an official visit to Romania in 2009 to mark the same special occasion
In February 2013, during the visit of the Romanian Minister of Foreign Affairs in Tokyo was signed the Joint Declaration on renewed partnership between Romania and Japan.
- Trade and Payments Agreement (1960) ;
- Treaty of Friendship , Commerce and Navigation (1969 ) ;
- Agreement on waiving visa fees and visa granting facilities ( 1975);
- Agreement on Cooperation in Science and Technology ( 1975);
- Convention for the avoidance of double taxation with respect to taxes on income ( 1976);
- Cultural Agreement for Grant Aid (1991);
- Cooperation Agreement between the Romanian Academy and the Japanese Academy (1994);
- Joint Declaration on Cooperation between the Ministries of Foreign Affairs ( 1997);
- Convention on the abolition of visas for holders of diplomatic passports (1997);
- Agreement on providing financial grants for projects of local (1998);
- Agreement yen loans , the Overseas Economic Cooperation Fund ( OECF later called JBIC ) for the completion of the container terminal in the port of Constanta – South and modernization of road in southwestern Romania ( 1998);
- Agreement signed with JBIC loan for the rehabilitation of the national road no. 6 Lugoj – Timisoara Timisoara and Craiova bypass construction variants (1998);
- Memorandum of Understanding between the Bucharest Stock Exchange and Tokyo Stock Exchange (1999);
- Loan Agreement for Rehabilitation Project railway line Bucharest-Constanta , the Romanian Government and the Japanese Bank for International Cooperation – JBIC (2001);
- Loan Agreement with Deutsche Bank AG , Tokyo Branch and Guarantee Agreement with JBIC the rehabilitation LDE 2100 HP Diesel Electric locomotives (2001 ) , as amended in April and May 2003 ;
- Grant Agreement to modernize the power plant Paroşeni (2002);
- Agreement which entered into force since the exemption from the visa requirement for service passports (2005);
- Memorandum of Understanding on cooperation and exchange of financial information relating to money laundering and terrorist financing , between the National Office for Preventing and Combating Money Laundering and the Japan Financial Intelligence Centre ( JAFIC ) ( May 2008).
- Tool in regulating economic relations between the EU and Japan ‘s Cooperation Action Plan adopted 10 years in December 2001.
- Currently, Japan is in the stage of negotiations with the EU to conclude a free trade agreement .
- Between the EU and Japan , entered into force on 1 January 2002, the Mutual Recognition Agreement . ( MRA ), which regulates the access of EU and Japan markets .
- Japan insisted on starting negotiations on a free trade agreement with the EU , a process scheduled for spring 2013.
- Currently , the EU is in Phase reaching a consensus of Member States to define the mandate of negotiations with Japan
- Discussions on domestic regulations affecting investments worn under the auspices of the High – Level Regulatory Reform Dialogue . ( DRR ), and directly by its other institutionalized ways that Japan -EU Industrial Policy and Industrial Cooperation Dialogue , the EU- Japan High Level Consultation and Financial Affairs and Japan – EU Economic Consultations .
- Between Romania and Jpaonia is in effect double taxation convention .
- Japan is a member of Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency ( MIGA ) of which Romania is part.
- Japan is a member of the International Convention to facilitate the importation of commercial samples and advertising materials ATA .